So, I've debated about if I really wanted to blog about this or not. Since it happened though I figured that I could at least write a short post about my feelings. So a couple of weeks ago, on a Friday, I was driving back from Sams and my mom called me. She informed me that she had just heard on the news of a shooting that had happened in my neighborhood. I went home and went to my trusty internet and looked the story up myself. So here it is. I live back inside the neighborhood, but there are some houses that backyards are up against a main road. This road takes you down to the highway. Well sometime late on a Thursday night, just before 12, somebody or maybe somebodies decided that it would be fun to drive by and shoot at two houses. One house was shot 6 times the other 4. No one got hurt, thankfully. I actually visit teach one of the families and went over to see her that Sat. One bullet went through her husbands closet and went through every piece of clothing he owns, slowing the bullet down enough that it didn't continue through the house where it would have probably met with one of her girls sleeping in their beds. In the other house, a bullet came in right above the toilet in the bathroom, if someone had been sitting there....
Now, I know that I live in a nice community, it is pretty safe, before all this happened I would have not thought twice about saying it is a nice and safe community. Logically I know that all this doesn't change that, this was a random act that could have happened to anyone anywhere. It is just hard to be pulled out of your bubble, where you know that there are bad things that happen in the world but never in your bubble. We have cops around constantly, we have been informed that they are doing everything in their power to catch whoever did this. As a neighborhood we are talking about ways to make it safer, like installing securtiy cameras in key locations. I'm grateful to know that the cops are doing what they can and trying to keep this place as safe as it was before. Hopefully with the extra attention anyone else will think twice before doing such a cruel act again A couple weeks later, life has mostly gotten back to normal for me at least. The first few nights I hardly slept, thinking about where my kids beds where and the likley hood of a bullet hitting them, and jumping everytime a car drove by (which since we live on a loop where you don't get a lot of traffic besides people who need to be there, thankfully isn't a lot). Knowing how hard it was for me, my heart goes out to the people that it did happen to. I have talked to/ or heard from both and I know that it has complelty messed up their lives and want to put it behind them.
At the end of all this though, I just want to say how grateful I am for a Heavenly Father that loves us and the inspiration he gives. Having talked to the one family about how different that night was than most nights and how different the outcome could have been if it had been like most nights, I know for a fact that the Lord was watching out for these families.
2 comments:
So scary. I am glad every one is ok.
Wow, that is so scary! I can't even imagine! Don't you hate being yanked out of your bubble. That happens to me every time I watch the news, so I try not to watch because it's a very scary, vulnerable feeling.
Post a Comment